Townsend is popular for its Old Timers Festivals; one in the Springtime and the other in October.
Townsend is located in Blount County and is 32 miles south of Knoxville. Townsend is one of three "gateways" to Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Townsend was named after Wilson B. Townsend, wife of the territorial governor William Blount. Blount County was named after him.
Townsend has coined itself as "The Peaceful Side of the Smokies" and offers outdoor recreational opportunities, including bicycling, river tubing, and fly fishing. The town has a number of great mom and pop restaurants and several museums.
It is situated at one of three entrances to Great Smoky Mountains National Park and is only 10 miles from Cades Cove.
The city has a population of 545.
Special Events in Townsend:
• One of the most anticipated events in the southeast takes place annually in May. The Townsend Spring Festival & Old Timers Day features two days of amazing blue grass music, arts and crafts, storytelling, Civil War encampment, games, food, and much more for the whole family.
• Sunset Music and other concerts at Great Smoky Mountains Heritage Center
• Rocky Branch Community Center jam sessions and stage performances, in Walland
• Seasonal Concerts at The Pickin' Porch, Wood 'N Strings Dulcimer Shop
• Held annually in September - Townsend Fall Heritage Festival and Old Timers Day. A celebration of bluegrass music, Appalachian demonstrations, arts and crafts, BBQ. Part of "Townsend Days" events.
Blount County is situated close to Knoxville and has a rich culture of arts and crafts and music.
Blount County was settled in 1785 and named after territorial governor William Blount, an American statesman and land speculator, and a signer of the United States Constitution. U.S. Senator Lamar Alexander was born in Maryville. Alexander served as Governor of Tennessee from 1979–1987 and Secretary of Education (1991–1993) under the first President George H. W. Bush.
The county seat is Maryville.
Newspapers: (print / digital) The Daily Times
Blount County Population: 123,010 (2010)
Government: Blount County Government
Business: Blount County Chamber of Commerce
Genealogy: Blount County Genealogy | Blount County History
Blount County Geneological & Historical Society
There are over 136 churches in Blount County and a major medical center.